Thursday, December 3, 2009

Out of My Ordinary

For my final blog post, I have decided to read a novel which I would have otherwise never read. By stepping out of my comfort zone, I will attempt to relay this experience for other readers in hopes to provide advice.

Judy Blume's novel, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, depicts a young girl as she struggles to find her identity amidst her developing mind and body. She faces difficulty regarding buying a bra, having her first period and competition amongst her peers with boys and who can cross the puberty finish line first.

I admit that I could not personally relate to much of this novel but that is because of gender issues really. That is not to detract from the material, I just simply am restricted from experiencing much of the content in the story because I am male. That's ok, though. In fact, 50% of the population therefore wouldn't be able to relate to the novel because of their male disposition. However, this is ultimately not the case.

I am the only boy in a family of three sisters and one mother. To say that estrogen outnumbers testosterone in my house is an understatement. I am familiar with all of the latest fashion trends, female television shows and, above all, the ebb and flow of female behavior and personality. Therefore, while I may not have experienced much of the novel's content personally, I have certainly experienced it indirectly. Reading the story reminded me of growing up in my house as I have seen and witnessed about ten years of grade school/high school female lifestyles. In that sense, the novel was very therapeutic since it created a universal component to growing up through its humor and emotion. I can only imagine how much it spoke to a female who has experienced such events.

Also, even if a male didnt grow up in a house of women like I did, they will inevitably encounter the opposite sex eventually regardless of background. In my opinion, it can only aid in their social growth and development to observe through a window into the life of the female if only to better understand their peers, friends and potential partners.

Recommendation: Of course this novel is speaking directly to young women but I would advise men, if they are willing, to read the novel so they can widen their understanding of the opposite sex. For adults, I think every daughter at least should be given this novel in their young age in order to relate to a wider world of compassion and emotion in girl's their age.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your ability to take a thoughtful approach to revealing the value of so many of these books to unexpected audiences. Showing what individual books like Frankie or We Were Here have to offer people who would not immediately come to mind as the intended audience is a strength of yours. Thank you for your insights.

    ReplyDelete